Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Interiors

For the interiors project the first thing that came to mind was some kind of sci fi hangar or large ship interior.
I gathered some reference from the likes of Star Wars and Bungie's work to get some inspiration.


After doing some sketching I realised that without anything populating it, a hangar is a pretty boring interior, so I got busy getting distracted with vehicles, put together a bashkit in 3DS Max and came up with something fairly quickly.

Initial freehand sketching
I spent more time than I should have on this and neglected the whole interiors thing completely. I consider this a work in progress, though, and would like to return to it and iterate on it as much as possible to get a decent design and final renders out, which I feel I could turn into a little summer project, or maybe something to do next year.

Going back, then, to the hangar idea, I felt it was severely lacking, because hangars are really just giant garages, pretty empty and boring...
So, after a few different ideas I actually decided to do the interior of the chopper. I knew I wanted it to be a troop carrier when I was designing it so that's where I put my focus on for the interiors.



Moodboard and quick idea generation, plan view and interesting/essential props.
I then did a quick blockout in 3D based on the above sketches and did some colour thumbnails based on these moodboards

Final image. Fairly pleased with it. The lighting was a big challenge on this one, aswell as the material properties. I think I pulled it off ok. I would have liked to flesh it out a bit more with some smaller details, little mechanics, buttons, fittings and stuff to give it a bit more believability, but was short on time. I also think this entire project has provided a solid base for a project and would translate really well to 3D, so something to think about for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment