Sunday, 21 April 2013

Group Work updates

It's been a while.

The level has come on a long way since the last update, a very long way, but I feel it still has so much further to go. Pretty much all the buildings are in and everything is is blocked out layout wise, we're just trickling in assetts and I'm starting to put together little scenes within the engine. Lighting has been a big issue for us. Our initial concepts showed dark, dingy streets but with the lighting we had it didn't feel very achievable as it made the entire level look extremely dull. This last week though I've been messing around with the level and feel like I've made some good progress, we've now got some interesting contrasted lighting, strong sunlit areas bringing out focal points, with the darker dingier streets lit with lamps.

Here are some before and after shots of the lighting from the last week

The difference is pretty significant, and although it's not quite there yet, it's a step in the right direction.
Some smaller assetts I was tasked with...
tiling rope texture, harder than it sounds
Clotheslines, few different shapes and sizes dotted around the level

I was also set to do the bridge entrance concepts, which I then modelled, with the bridge extending behind it
Quick ideas
Building on ideas
Final Design
In engine. Still needs unwrapping, smoothing and vertex alphas applied
For the stonework I decided to have a go at sculpting a highpoly texture and baking down for the first time, I'm fairly pleased with results considering!
Darker spots are just shadows
Right now I'm concentrating on building up some scenery and refining the lighting, I've also been messing around with sound and have got some ambient sound areas set up.

Dan's grass as vegetation shader in engine, still needs some tweaking

No comments:

Post a Comment