Saturday, 27 April 2013

Visual Design Updates

Visual Design has taken a hit since the group project, but I'm trying my best to keep up!

Started some masters studies, the two below are Emile Gruppe and Hanson Puthuff.

I've mainly been looking at artists from the turn of the 19th century, focusing on grand landscapes and a lot of lighting contrast, with very gestural strokes. Following on from the river studies I wanted to continue with a similar style of painting. Really liking edgar payne's work too, might do a study or two of his, and for some reason i really want to paint ships! 


We've also been tasked with designing either an environment, vehicle or character based in southern USA during the prohibition, so around 1920's. I'm opting for environment/vehicle design and have chosen to design something around the bayous and swamps of louisiana.

Starting out with enviro's trying to get a mood set, a really dense, humid grimey feeling place. 


I'm liking the final image, the idea being some kind of settlement built on the bayou, hidden in the dark. I want to push the aesthetics of the buildings more, add a bit more quirk and randomness, maybe some more stories hap hazardly built up, or structures built into the trees. Need to get a final composition nailed and if I have time design a vehicle.
For the vehicle I was thinking of an early version of an air boat, or fan boat, but again maybe quite shoddy build quality and something a bit crazy.

A couple of mood boards just to back show the direction I'm going for



Air boats first came into production around the late 1920's, and they had a few crazy designs, including hard canopy one on the bottom left.

No comments:

Post a Comment